Benefits of Belonging
UC provides exceptional benefits in addition to the special intellectual and cultural advantages of being a member of the UC Community. The University offers outstanding health and welfare benefits and programs for secure retirement that are considered to be among the finest in higher education. The benefits received depend on the number of hours worked, type of appointment and classification.
Major benefits offered to our employees in career (permanent) positions include the following:
Paid Vacation, Holiday, Sick Leave
- A minimum of three weeks of vacation per year. Additional vacation accrues with increasing years of service.
- 13 paid holidays per year.
- Sick leave accrues at 12 days per year; no maximum; payable if absent for reasons of health.
- Medical: A number of plans are offered; the University pays the full premium for at least one health plan.
- Dental: Two comprehensive University-paid plans are offered.
- Vision: A University-paid plan is offered.
- The University purchases a life insurance policy equal to your annual earnings up to a maximum of $50,000. You may purchase additional coverage for up to four times your annual salary rate.
Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- The University provides basic coverage for non-work related disability in addition to Workers? Compensation for work-related disability. You may purchase additional disability insurance to supplement this benefit.
Legal Expense Insurance
- You may purchase a policy for covered legal services on a pre-paid basis.
- You may pay your portion of health plan premiums (if any) on a pretax basis.
- You may pay dependent care expenses on a pretax basis (up to IRS limits).
- You may pay for parking, transit passes or vanpooling by payroll deduction on a pretax basis (subject to limits).
Retirement / Savings Programs
- University of California Retirement Plan
- Tax-deferred 403 (b) Plan
- Defined contribution Pretax and After-Tax Account
- Other Savings and Investment Plans
- University of CA Reduced Fee Enrollment Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Career Opportunities and Training
- Employee Recognition Program
- Disability Management Services
- Child Care Facilities
- Various approaches to work schedule flexibility and job structuring (supportive work environment)
- Recreational facilities and programs
- Credit Union
- Parking and transportation services
- Employee discounts