HR Update; June 22, 2012
In this Edition
- UC to Change Health Coverage for Separating Employees
- Don’t Miss: Accomplishing More with Less, June 27
- Upcoming Development Classes
- Free UC Retirement Readiness Education Programs for Faculty & Staff
- Share Your Bright Ideas
UC to Change Health Coverage for Separating Employees
Beginning July 1, 2012, UC plans to no longer provide an extra month of insurance coverage for employees when they leave UC employment.
Currently, both UC and employees pay premiums for an additional month of coverage. The university estimates that it spends approximately $5 million annually to provide separating employees with health and welfare plan coverage for an additional month. Of the 26 College and University Professional Association (CUPA) institutions to which UC benchmarks itself, none provide these extended benefits.
Coverage for separating employees will be discontinued at the end of the month in which the separation occurs with the following exceptions:
- Employees who are retiring will continue to have the extra month of coverage to allow for a seamless transition to retiree coverage. This includes employees who are laid off and then decide to retire.
- In the event of an employee death, the coverage end dates for family members will continue to be the end of the month following the death, even if the family member is not eligible for UCRP survivor benefits.
- The end date of coverage for employees who are medically separating and transitioning to UCRP disability will be coordinated between the Benefits Specialty Center and the UCOP Disability Unit.
As a reminder, disability coverage will continue to end on the last day worked.
This change in the benefits end date does not apply to the Post Doctoral Scholar Benefits Program (PX bargaining unit) or benefit programs for residents and fellows. Currently it will also not apply to employees in the HX bargaining unit.
COBRA coverage, if elected, will be effective on the day following the end of coverage. UC will provide Conexis (COBRA administrator) weekly files to ensure that COBRA packets are issued timely. Individuals should receive a COBRA packet within 10 days. If they have any questions about COBRA coverage, employees should be directed to call Conexis at 1-877-722-2667.
Don’t Miss: Accomplishing More with Less, June 27
Are you feeling:
- Bombarded by information?
- Persistently interrupted and side-tracked?
- Like you are constantly juggling competing and changing priorities?
- Frustrated with digital overload?
Attend Learning and Development’s upcoming “Accomplishing More with Less” the personal productivity program from People on the Go. This class gets rave reviews from UCSF and UC Berkeley staffers alike. Participants describe this fun and engaging workshop as transformational.
If you want to make breakthroughs, respond instead of react to today’s demanding work environment, and establish sustainable practices that will help you effectively manage information overload and get outstanding results, then sign up for this popular program.
These classes are filling up. Ensure your space by enrolling through the UC Learning Center: Logon to the system, search for “Accomplishing”, and enroll in one of the two “Accomplishing More with Less” courses.
Upcoming Development Classes
- Accomplishing More with Less
June 27, 2012, 8:30am–12:30pm
- Accomplishing More with Less
July 13, 2012, 8:30am–4:30pm
- Conducting Performance Appraisal
July 25, 2012, 8:30am–12:30pm
- Delegating for Success & Accountability
July 25, 2012, 1pm–5pm
- Influencing Without Authority
July 27, 2012, 8:30am–12:30pm
- Communication Skills
July 27, 2012, 1pm–5pm
Log on to the UC Learning Center to register.
Free UC Retirement Readiness Education Programs for Faculty & Staff
Are you ready for retirement? Start to plan now - it’s never too early. Check the Retirement Readiness Workshop Schedules for new listings today!
Did You Know? You may attend a workshop at any UC campus. Just check the schedule for your preferred location and sign up online.
UC Retirement Plan (UCRP): UC’s Defined Benefit Plan
- Schedule “The Features of UCRP” workshop for your department - click here
- Read about The Future of UCRP
The UC Retirement Savings Programs: 403(b), 457(b) & Defined Contribution (DCP Plans)
- Attend a Workshop at a location near you and make your reservation online - click here for the schedule
- Arrange to have these workshops at a meeting in your department – click here
- Focus on Your Future - Resources
Share Your Bright Ideas
Share your Bright Ideas! Do you have an idea that will change our campus for the better? The UCSF Medical Center, UCSF School of Medicine, and Office of Sustainability now have an online suggestion box for employees to submit ideas that will improve UCSF’s ability to run operations more safely, efficiently, and sustainably. Go to the Bright Ideas website to share, vote and comment on ideas.
HR Update is distributed weekly to individuals on the following listservs: Campus Administrators, Managers and Supervisors, HR Policy, Payroll Administrators and Benefits Representatives.
You can also sign up for the HR Update Mailing List
For more information, including on how to be removed from this list, please read more about UCSF Distribution Lists