HR Update; August 3, 2012
In this Edition
- Anthem Blue Cross and Walgreens Pharmacy Reach Agreement
- 10 Great Ideas for Good Supervision
- Upcoming Development Classes
- Free UC Retirement Readiness Education Programs for Faculty & Staff
- Share Your Bright Ideas
Anthem Blue Cross and Walgreens Reach Agreement
A multiyear agreement between Walgreens and Express Scripts was recently reached and beginning September 15, 2012, members in all UC Anthem Blue Cross plans will be able to use Walgreens again to fill their prescriptions.
Anthem Blue Cross is working with Express Scripts to ensure a smooth transition for plan members who wish to transfer their prescriptions to Walgreens. In most cases, members should be able to take their medication bottle to the Walgreens pharmacy to initiate a transfer. However, for some medications the transfer will require a new prescription from the provider.
For more specific information or for assistance, faculty and staff Anthem Blue Cross members should call the plan directly at 1-800-209-7975. Residents/Fellows Anthem Blue Cross members should call 1-800-759-3030.
10 Great Ideas for Good Supervision
“Supervision is about nurturing employees. It’s about being committed to making them successful rather than waiting for them to make a mistake,” writes Larry Wenger. In the August edition of Merit Perspectives, Wenger discusses the importance of strong supervision and its impact on creating successful employees and staff retention. Beyond specific work skills, improving the habits and attitudes of employees is crucial and often overlooked by supervisors. Below is an excerpt of the top 10 tips for supervisors to change attitudes and habits for the better:
- Be organized. Don't bring your employee into a cluttered office. Expect the employee to have an agenda, to have done some preparation for the supervisory conference, but you should prepare as well.
- Manage yourself. Model the behavior you expect to see from your employee. Handle your own responsibilities well.
- Acknowledge good work. Regularly and often. No employee has ever complained that their boss compliments them too much. Compliments feel good. (continue reading…)
Upcoming Development Classes
- Setting Performance Expectation
August 9, 2012, 8:30am–12:30pm
- Coaching for Improved Performance
August 9, 2012, 1pm–5pm
- Problem Solving/Decision Making
August 17, 2012, 8:30am–12:30pm
- Project Management (Module 2): Planning & Estimating
August 17, 2012, 1pm–5pm
- 3-Day OLPPS Inquiry & Entry Update Training
August 22-24, 9am–4pm
- Conducting Performance Appraisal
August 23, 2012, 8:30am–12:30pm
- Delegating for Success & Accountability
August 23, 2012, 1pm–5pm
- Project Management (Module 3): Scheduling & Tracking
August 31, 2012, 8:30am–12:30pm
Log on to the UC Learning Center to register.
Free UC Retirement Readiness Education Programs for Faculty & Staff
Are you ready for retirement? Start to plan now - it’s never too early. Check the Retirement Readiness Workshop Schedules for new listings today!
Did You Know? You may attend a workshop at any UC campus. Just check the schedule for your preferred location and sign up online.
UC Retirement Plan (UCRP): UC’s Defined Benefit Plan
- Schedule “The Features of UCRP” workshop for your department - click here
- Read about The Future of UCRP
The UC Retirement Savings Programs: 403(b), 457(b) & Defined Contribution (DCP Plans)
- Attend a Workshop at a location near you and make your reservation online - click here for the schedule
- Arrange to have these workshops at a meeting in your department – click here
- Focus on Your Future - Resources
Share Your Bright Ideas
Share your Bright Ideas! Do you have an idea that will change our campus for the better? The UCSF Medical Center, UCSF School of Medicine, and Office of Sustainability now have an online suggestion box for employees to submit ideas that will improve UCSF’s ability to run operations more safely, efficiently, and sustainably. Go to the Bright Ideas website to share, vote and comment on ideas.
HR Update is distributed weekly to individuals on the following listservs: Campus Administrators, Managers and Supervisors, HR Policy, Payroll Administrators and Benefits Representatives.
You can also sign up for the HR Update Mailing List
For more information, including on how to be removed from this list, please read more about UCSF Distribution Lists