HR Update; May 6, 2011
In this Edition
- Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on Diversity Hosts Conference Call
- Influencing Without Authority
- Career Management Workshops at Parnassus in June
- New Employee Orientation is Changing!
- UC Retirement Readiness Education Programs for Faculty & Staff
Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on Diversity Hosts Conference Call
The agenda for Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on Diversity’s (CACD) monthly meeting on May 12 includes a discussion with Martin Davidson, PhD, Associate Dean and Chief Diversity Officer, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia.
There is conference call capability able to handle up to 75 calls. Below are some of the topics we will be discussing with Dr. Davidson:
* the strategy Darden is using to move along the improvement continuum
* what goals/outcomes he defined
* who he is engaging in the process and how he is engaging them
* how he is communicating within/across his organization on the issue
* how he benchmarks success
* what best practices and/or tools he has in place
The meeting starts at 2:00 on Thursday, May 12. Email Linda Gregory to RSVP to the conference call.
Influencing Without Authority
Friday, May 20th 8:30 to 12:30, Laurel Heights Regents Room S-1
Effectively exercising influence even when you may not have the formal authority to mandate action is a challenge we all face. This workshop explores the primary strategies of influence – and provides frameworks and tools to select the most appropriate strategy for the circumstances. The course will be presented by Raj Kapur of the Center for Project Management. The cost is $150.00.
Log on to the UC Learning Center at https://learningcenter.ucsfmedicalcenter.org/ and search for “Influencing” in the search box to register.
Career Management Workshops at Parnassus in June
There are still some vacancies in these classes at Parnassus. Sign up now.
Module 4 (prerequisites are modules 1-3)
All classes are from 9 to 11 am.
Log on to the UC Learning Center at https://learningcenter.ucsfmedicalcenter.org/ and search for “Career Planning” in the search box to register.
New Employee Orientation is Changing!
Starting in May, Learning & Development is holding New Employee Orientation just once a month. However, the Benefits team will continue to offer their Benefits Overview twice a month as always. If you have new hires, please direct them to the HR website where they can see the new NEO schedule and learn how to register for any of these sessions (note session timeframes have also changed). Registration is mandatory to attend a class.
Free UC Retirement Readiness Education Programs for Faculty & Staff
Are you ready for retirement? Start to plan now - it’s never too early. Check the Retirement Readiness Workshop Schedules for new listings today!
Did You Know? You may attend a workshop at any UC campus. Just check the schedule for your preferred location and sign up online.
UC Retirement Plan (UCRP): UC’s Defined Benefit Plan
- Schedule “The Features of UCRP” workshop for your department - click here
- Read about The Future of UCRP
The UC Retirement Savings Programs: 403(b), 457(b) & Defined Contribution (DCP Plans)
- Attend a Workshop at a location near you and make your reservation online - click here for the schedule
- Arrange to have these workshops at a meeting in your department – click here
- Focus on Your Future - Resources
HR Update is distributed weekly to individuals on the following listservs: Campus Administrators, Managers and Supervisors, HR Policy, Payroll Administrators and Benefits Representatives.
You can also sign up for the HR Update Mailing List
For more information, including on how to be removed from this list, please read more about UCSF Distribution Lists