HR Update; March 5, 2010
In this Edition
- March Learning Opportunities
- English as a Second Language Training begins March 23
- UC Retirement Readiness Education Programs
March Learning Opportunities
Would you or your team like to:
- Discover how to better utilize OLFS Weblinks and/or OLPPS?
- Understand HR’s strategic role in recruitment and selection?
- Learn to appropriately exercise your management authority?
- Gain an overview of equal employment opportunity & nondiscrimination policy?
- Learn how to communicate clear performance expectations and/or delegate for success and accountability?
If “yes” is the answer to any of the above questions, then please review the list of available courses for the month of March.
March 2010 Classes
Please find below a list of available learning courses for the month of March and the following link to provide you with more details regarding these offerings: http://learningcenter.ucsf.edu. (We would also appreciate it if you could share this information with anyone whom you think may be interested in these courses.)
General Ledger/Fund Accounting using OLFS WebLinks-Part II - This course builds upon the general ledger and fund accounting concepts learned in Part I as participants use WebLinks reports and case studies to reconcile fund balances, correct problems, review year-end transactions, and evaluate STIP.
- March 10, Laurel Heights, CA (8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.)
Delegating for Success and Accountability – In this final course in the Performance Management series, participants practice a structured approach to delegation and the communication skills needed to transfer work and to build project commitment.
- March 11, Laurel Heights (8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.)
OLPPS Inquiry and Entry/Update - This 3-day course provides a review of how to navigate within the Online Payroll Personnel System (OLPPS) and to accurately add and change payroll/personnel data.
- March 16-18, Laurel Heights (9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.)
Empowering the Supervisor – This course helps participants learn how to appropriately manage authority to maintain or regain control of situations involving an employee’s non-compliance or insubordination.
March 17, Laurel Heights (8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.)
EEO Law and Sexual Harassment Prevention for Supervisors – This course is designed to provide participants with an overview of equal employment opportunity and nondiscrimination policy. It will also include required content mandatory for AB1825 compliance for sexual harassment prevention.
- March 17, Laurel Heights (9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.)
Setting Performance Expectations – In this first course in the Performance Management series, participants learn how to work individually or collaboratively with staff to identify meaningful performance expectations and to communicate them.
- March 18, Laurel Heights (8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.)
HR Workforce Planning & Employment – This course is intended for HR professionals and is one of a series of foundation courses designed to build a common set of core HR competencies. It focuses on HR’s strategic role in recruitment and selection.
- March 25, Laurel Heights (8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.)
English as a Second Language Training Begins March 23
Does your unit have entry level staff that will benefit from the next level of training in English as a Second Language (ESL)? ESL training is now available at UCSF.
Classes will begin March 23, 2010 through May 20, 2010, Tuesday and Thursday, 3 p.m. - 5 p.m., at 3360 Geary Blvd., Training Room B.
Working together, the Campus and Medical Center have partnered with City College of San Francisco to create a free, 9-week basic ESL course tailored to meet on-the-job needs of UCSF employees. Employees who completed the class will improve their conversational English comprehension, pronunciation, and tasks specific phrasing and vocabulary.
The higher level of function in English will include the following: communicate effectively with supervisors and co-workers, being a team member, clarify customer needs, and simple problem-solving techniques with the introduction of grammar (past and future tense) in the context of workplace communication.
Enrollment is now open and will close March 22, 2010. Managers can register approved employees who are committed to completing this program. The course is 9 weeks.
To enroll your employees in the course:
- Visit http://learningcenter.ucsf.edu/
- Enter Employee ID number. This will lead you to the UC learning center website.
- Scroll down and go to Catalog
- Select Professional Skills and Career Development Section
- Select ESL class
UC Retirement Readiness Education Programs
Please pass this on to your colleagues, circulate invitations, post the actual scheduled workshops happening near your location, or otherwise re-broadcast these weekly reminders about our valuable (FREE) education programs for faculty and staff. Bring your lunch; your questions; your spouse/partner.
- UC Retirement Plan (UCRP)-UC’s Defined Benefit Plan
- UC Retirement Savings Plans - the 403(b), 457(b) and DC Plans
- “Taking Charge of Your Financial Fitness”
- Coming again soon
- “The Fundamentals of Retirement Income Planning”
- Coming again soon
- “Enrolling in Your UC Retirement Savings Program”
- March 11, Laurel Heights, LHts – 376, 1:00 p.m.
- “Determining Your Right Investment Strategy”
- March 11, Laurel Heights, LHts – 376, 2:30 p.m.
- “Quarterly Market Perspective”
- Coming again soon
- “Accessing Fidelity’s NetBenefits Website”
- Coming again soon
- Refer to these schedules for details and future workshops
- Arrange to have these workshops at a meeting in your department
- Focus on Your Future!
Usually there can be at least one (or more) workshop(s) per week scheduled at various UCSF locations around town. For more details and listings for upcoming scheduled presentations, please refer to our Workshops and Presentations Schedules menus found at our local UCSF HR/Benefits website.
HR Update is distributed weekly to individuals on the following listservs: Campus Administrators, Managers and Supervisors, HR Policy, Payroll Administrators and Benefits Representatives.
You can also sign up for the HR Update Mailing List
For more information, including on how to be removed from this list, please read more about UCSF Distribution Lists